Monday, March 11, 2013

She Works Hard (But Not for the Money)

I'm just becoming a blogging monster because I can't believe I'm about to update y'all again. This time it's just about my first week at my internship. I told a few people about this already so for those who are seeing this again, sorry, but for anyone who is curious about how my week went, read onward.

So before I came to London, I had to apply for a student visa that allows me to work in the UK (and the process takes forever and stresses you out more than it should). As you can see, I acquired it a week before I left the States and can now happily work at my internship. The sucky part is I can't get paid for it (and it's a 9 to 5:30 job!). Oh well, that's adulthood for you.

As I mentioned previously, my internship is at a post production company called Lucky Cat that is based in the Soho region of London (and an awesome place to work I must add). Their clients work mostly with Channel 4 but sometimes there will be clients from other television networks and their job is to cut together trailers or promos for televisions and movies that will be premiering on the network. This week we had a guy working on a promo for Get Him to the Greek (not the greatest movie but it had some funny parts) and someone else working on one for the show Revenge. There were other small jobs going on at the same time, mostly in the audio suite which was right above my head and because the place is so small, you can hear everything. Sometimes it's cool but after a while you just want to unplug the equipment.

There are around six rooms in total that are used for editing. Three on the main floor and three upstairs but two are main offices for two regulars, Craig who does sound and Jonathan who is an editor. The biggest room is the audio suite (which is amazing inside. Honestly the sound board is huge) and Craig takes great pride in it. Both of them are really nice. Craig always asks how I'm doing and will even give me work out tips because he is a part time personal trainer. Jon doesn't talk to me much but when he opens his mouth I can't stop laughing.

The same goes for everyone else that I work with. They are all extremely nice and I have become really close with Luke, who is also a runner and shares responsibilities with me. He helps me out a lot and we joke around all the time; he's becoming like a big brother in a way. Brad is the other guy I work with and is in the FIE program with me. He attends Temple University in Philly. Unfortunately I only got to work with him for one day because he was sick on Friday and only comes in twice a week as opposed to my three times a week. Still it will be cool to get to know him better as well.

I'm seriously excited to go back on Wednesday because I like going to work, despite having to wake up early. I get a lot of down time when people are working and it allows me to chat with everyone else and there is also a bookcase that has a bunch of books (I'm currently half way through Treasure Island) which I am thankful for because that passes time and even sparks conversation with people who come in and out. Although the fact that I'm not from England interests people too.

For example, one woman came in to do voice over work on Friday and requested a latte. So I delivered it to her and as I handed it to her, she asks where I am from. I hesitate for a second trying to formulate what exactly to tell her but before I can say anything, the next thing out of her mouth is, "Are you Canadian?"

That was definitely a first for me. I never thought I had any kind of accent, not even a New York one. So the fact that this woman thought I sounded Canadian was a complete blind side. I wasn't offended or anything but the inside joke that my friends have here with me is a woman at the airport when we were heading to Barcelona told us to tell British people that we were from Canada because they are nicer to Canadians than Americans. I related this information to the woman, and the two other guys in the room and had them laughing. One of the guys even confirmed that this observation was partly true. The woman explained it was probably because Canada is still part of the UK in a way. Makes sense.

And that isn't even the end of it. When I told my friends this later on, they agreed that I sounded Canadian. Does everyone agree with that? If so, thanks for telling me (sarcasm).

Anyway that is what my first week was like back and with my internship. I honestly have nothing planned for my next entry or what it will be about. I'll probably just shoot the breeze or something or maybe talk about the fact that I have only six weeks until I am back in the States. Who knows. However spring break pictures are up on Facebook so go check them out and give me over a hundred notifications if you please.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment